Israeli ministers thwart the attempt of the Mossad chief to resume negotiations for the release of hostages in Gaza.

Relatives of the kidnapped individuals express their astonishment, as reports indicate that David Barnea was prevented from visiting Qatar.

Israel’s war cabinet has blocked the planned trip to Qatar by the director of the nation’s foreign intelligence agency, aimed at initiating negotiations for a new hostage release agreement.

Several reports state that David Barnea, the head of Mossad, had desired to travel to Qatar but was obstructed by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other cabinet ministers.

This decision has prompted the hostage families to demand an explanation, expressing their shock.

In an official statement, they called for an “immediate cessation of the deadlock in negotiations,” emphasizing their frustration with the lack of progress and indifference. They described the current situation as a daily “game of chance in which families are being informed about the killing of hostages in captivity.”

While it is believed that Hamas still holds approximately 138 hostages in Gaza, Israel recently disclosed that 19 of them have been killed. Some were reported to have been killed on October 7th, with their bodies taken to Gaza, while others were killed during their captivity in the coastal strip.

In a notable incident, a 25-year-old hostage named Sahar Baruch, who was abducted from the Be’eri kibbutz on October 7th during Hamas’s surprise attack across the Gaza border, was killed during an unsuccessful hostage rescue operation by the Israel Defense Forces.

It was announced on Thursday that Joshua Loitu Mollel, a 21-year-old agriculture student from Tanzania who was kidnapped from the Nahal Oz kibbutz, had also been killed while in captivity.

Hamas abducted around 240 hostages, both civilian and military, on October 7th. While over 100 hostages were released during a week-long ceasefire that ended on December 1st, concerns are mounting over those who are still held captive as Israel has intensified its ground and air offensive in Gaza, including intense urban combat in key locations.

On Wednesday, families of US hostages in Gaza met with US President Joe Biden at the White House. Following the two-hour meeting, family members stated their belief that Biden is making vigorous efforts to secure the release of their loved ones.

Jonathan Dekel-Chen, the father of Sagui Dekel-Chen, a 35-year-old kidnapped from the Nir Oz kibbutz, said, “We have always sensed, and our belief has only been reinforced after seeing and meeting, that in Washington and at the White House, we have no better friend than President Biden himself and his administration.”

However, tensions have been growing between the hostage families and Netanyahu, with a heated meeting taking place earlier this month between them and the Israeli war cabinet. During the meeting, the daughter of hostage Chaim Peri, 79, told the Israeli prime minister that those still in captivity were “running out of time.”

Despite the breakdown of the ceasefire on December 1st, informal channels of communication between Hamas and Israel, facilitated by mediators from Qatar and Egypt, seem to have remained open. However, there has been little substantial progress, despite reports suggesting that Israel approached Egypt to reopen talks.

A report from the Qatari-owned outlet Al-Araby Al-Jadeed quoted Basem Naim, a member of Hamas’s political bureau, affirming the group’s stance that negotiations cannot take place while the fighting continues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *